Monday, May 07, 2007

back to work

Well, it finally happened. This post is officially being written on the company clock. I'm sitting at a new desk in my same old office, hoping that I'll somehow be able to focus on the task at hand: wading through exactly 376 unread emails. I guess it's actually a good way to ease back into things---I mean, no one can expect too much from you on your first day, right?
I remember when twelve weeks of leave seemed like an eternity. Plenty of time to clean out Sadie's closet, make a baby keepsake book, and stock the freezer with pumped milk. Well, the reality of it is that there's still barely room to hang her tiny clothes, the pile of scrapbook fodder is sitting untouched on my desk, and there's enough milk to last a week, at best. Ah, plans. I'm trying to remember that saying about "the best laid plans blah blah blah" but I haven't had my coffee yet and I need to get back.
To work.
Back to work.
Ugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the time has flown, as i'm sure you say all the time. You were able to run to see her often, right? One day at a time...

Reid said...

I remember the pain of that first week. It does get easier - though I have to say that even now I miss my kid before the end of the day.