Wednesday, November 19, 2008

big news

Well, for me anyway.
(No, we're not pregnant.)

I got Lasik! Finally, after 20+ years of glasses, then contacts, then glasses again: FREEDOM. In keeping with the motto of Change, I had surgery the day after election day. New beginnings indeed.

Just now am I able to stand long periods of time in front of the computer, a fact that makes earning a living as a software developer a difficult task. But things are on the mend (aside from a wicked case of dry-eye), and I've jumped from 20/500 to 20/25 vision in two weeks, with things improving daily. It is, in a word, AMAZING.

Reid was able to watch the entire procedure on a 6-ft x 9-ft screen in the viewing area (complete with comfy couches). Here's a pic that he snapped on my cell phone:
Crazy, huh?

4 comments:

Reid said...

Great News Maria. I can't imagine the freedom you must feel now that you can stumble out of bed in the middle of the night and find your way to Sadie without crashing into a wall. But I'm not sure I would have had the stomach to watch, comfy couches or not.

K*Funk said...

Hey! Congrats on the lasik! Yes, now you can stare at a computer monitor for hours on it.... Not like you weren't before.... :) Hope you are feeling ok! I am impressed that Reid watched! Btw I just checked out your blog from LAST year at this time to see what little miss Sadie Rain was doing in comparison to Madison, and re-read your Thanksgiving travel saga - aughhh! We are getting ready to go to Va on Sun & now I am scared! MJ's first time on a plane! ANd she *already* has the sniffles.. Lord help us!!

Anonymous said...

welcome to the world of the sighted...i know that it made a whole lot of difference when skip had this done oh so many years ago. congrats maria!
rou

Anonymous said...

Congrats Love! Finally! :)